Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Lacing Up

As I mentioned earlier, I have just begun training for a 5K! The school district that I work in is having a Run for the Schools on Sunday October 9th.  The lead teacher in my classroom mentioned running, so another paraeducator and I thought it would be fun to run too.  There are 5K walk/run, 10k, and half marathon options.  Seeing that I am not a runner, and haven't run over 1.5 miles since the last time I ran a 5K (June 2010), I thought it would be good to start with a manageable and achievable goal.  I am happy to say that I ran my first mile today as I gear up for my training. 

Being as uptight as I am (about these things), I, of course, made a spreadsheet for the whole shebang.  I took a look at the calendar (and my sweaty, snotty face -- after only 1 mile) and a 5K training guide from Runner's World to make a goal sheet.  Runner's World guide only has you running 3 times a week and starts you right off at 1.5 miles.  I knew that this wasn't realistic for myself and that I would need more days to jog (let's be honest, I'm not really running, more like a glorified skip-walk sort of jig) in a week and had to start myself off at 1 mile. 

I plan on printing this out and hanging it on my fridge.  I will then pencil in my actual accomplishments in an attempt to hold myself accountable. 

I gave myself 2 days off a week to account for my natural laziness and the fact that I ride my bike at least 2 miles a day, so those days won't be complete energy wastes.  I also plan on swimming on Saturdays in the near future, so those days might be switched to "offs" in exchange for jogging on another day. 

I am not quite sure how to provide a link to download this spreadsheet, so if you want a copy that you can edit, leave a comment and I promise to email it to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment